This image comes from the city of Katowice in southern Poland, formerly a major coal mining centre.
The miners are long gone and the location has been transformed into a memorial to an industry that dominated the region for almost two centuries.
This is part of the Silesian Museum, now a major visitor attraction, located just a stone’s throw from the modern city centre.
What appears to be a three-storey glass box is one of a series of six similar buildings set in an attractive city park.
They are designed to channel daylight into spacious modern exhibition areas located on four underground levels.
It’s an ingenious use of an urban space which, as the picture shows, complements the wider cityscape.
It’s estimated that the Katowice mines produced over 120 million tonnes of coal between 1823 and their eventual closure in 1999.