This ruined 14th century castle in County Donegal is officially called Northburg Castle. It is known locally, however, as Green Castle – due no doubt to its location overlooking the village of Greencastle.
The castle was built in 1305 by Richard Og de Burgh – also known as the Red Earl of Ulster – one of the most powerful Irish nobles of the period, to control the entrance to Lough Foyle.
It later fell into the hands of Edward Bruce, High King of Ireland and younger brother of Robert, King of the Scots. It was the scene of ongoing murder, sabotage and political intrigue right up to the the 17th century when hostile cannon fire reduced it to rubble.
Today it’s still a striking presence on the western shore of the lough.
Image also available in large display sizes and for licensing and commercial use. Contact for details.